WHAT TO KNOW AND DO RIGHT!
- The Economic Environment
- Value of Certificate
- Workplace skills
- Choice of Career
- Personal SWOT
Knowledge of the Economy
- The Industry Profile.
- Know the profile of the industry you intend to work in.
- Economic trends and indicators.
- Even if you didn’t study Economics in school, you must know basic economic issues: follow the news.
- The Economic needs of the future.
- What will Nigeria’s economy look like. Which industry or profession will dominate?
The Value of Certificate
- It certifies academic or mental ability
- Certificate value must be demonstrated-make it count
- Enhancement Option – Get skills that will enhance the value of your certificate.
What career means
A career is a chosen line of activities to which you devote your energy –passion and time to support a prosperous (happy) life.
If market changes, change your skill before changing career.
How to decide on career choice
- Career is a marathon not a sprint – set it as stepping stones.
- Make a career plan.
- Entry Level Officer
- Senior Specialist – Senior Consultant in line of specialization option
- General Management – Director/Operations option
- Business Analyst – Business Manager option
- Use the G + P + V formula.
- Gifts + Passions + Values – strength is passion and your values are non-negotiable
- Ask other people.
- Explore unconventional careers – If not excited by the popular career available, try unconventional ones.
- Find a Mentor.
- Try an Internship.
- Take a Test – For example, those used by banks
- Keep in mind what you are good at.
- Think about what excites and engages you.
- Be aware of all the opportunities.
- Find out what the requirements are.
- Consult career consultants.
What to know before looking for Jobs.
- Self Assessment and Job Profiling – skills and requirement of every job.
- The job and your career fit.
- Recruitment and Hiring Process – Interview Techniques
Top Workplace Skills
- IT Skills
- Analytical/Critical Thinking
- Time Management
- Innovation and Creativity
- Business Acumen
Know your personal SWOT
Entrepreneurship vs. Craft
An entrepreneur is someone who exercises initiative by organizing a venture to take benefit of an opportunity and, as the decision maker, decides what, how, and how much of a good or service will be produced.
An activity involving skill in making things by hand.
For example – The craft of cobbling
- To become an entrepreneur does not necessarily involve going through craft. You can turn craft into business.
- Entrepreneurship is a mindset, a philosophy, a business orientation.
- Craft is like a meal ticket but may not last
- Generally, an entrepreneur has a passion for solving problems.
- An entrepreneur is a business person. He sees things from business angle
Degrees for Next Generation Careers
|• HEALTH: Increasing population and need to check diseases and their spread. Health care will continue to be on the front burner.
• Public Health
• Health Information Tech
|• Genetic Consultant
• Medical Public Health
• Social Worker
• Registered Nurse
• Home Health Aid.
|• BUSINESS: Global business will continue to be a major economic driver.
|• International Finance
• Business Statistics
• Financial Support.
|• International Consultant
• Strategic Planner
• Portfolio Management Business analyst
|• GREEN COLLAR JOB:
The need to be environmentally conscious, design, policy, and technology to improve conservation and sustainability.
|• Environmental science.
• Natural Resource Management and Policy.
• Electromechanical Technology.
|• Sustainability Officer
• Renewable Energy Technician
• Waste Management Consultant
• Sustainable Environment Planner
|• ADVANCED MEDICAL RESEARCH
Research that covers a wide variety of medical fields.
• Cell Biology
• Anatomical Sciences
• Molecular Pharmacology
• Lab Technology
|• Robotic Technician
• Simulation Engineer
• Synthetic Biologist
• Gene screener
Finance is wide-ranging, covering an array of specializations in the world of business, economics and banking.
• Investment and Securities Analysis
• Functional Analysis
• Financial Planning
• Credit Analyst
• Private Equity
• Management Consultant
|• DIGITAL SPACE
A lot of open opportunities abound in the Digital Space – Technology and Communications.
|• Computer Science
• Computational Mathematics
• Game Design and Development
• Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
• Data Processing Technology
|• Interface designer
• Software Developer
• Content Generator
• Cybersecurity Specialist
• Casual game designer.
Designs that can solve the energy crisis through creation of hybrid vehicles and other technologies.
|• Transportation and Highway Engineering
• Environmental Science
• Natural Resources Management, Design Engineering
• Industrial Safety Technology.
|• Energy Efficiency Manager
• Automotive Field Technician
• Specialist Industrial Product Manager
• Mechanical Engineer
• Energy Conservation Engineer.
From this discussion, these are things to do:
- Personal Profiling is important.
- Communication plan – Email, Social Media especially LinkedIn.
- Perfect your career choice and related skills.
- Start the journey and ensure continuous improvement.
- Stay informed – Networking.
- Brand yourself – Be known for something.