ROLE OF PARENTS IN CAREER CHOICE (Managing the stakeholders for career choice)
- The world is changing and changing very fast. The driver of this change is technology. The world has become digitalized.
- This has affected the way we do business, relate and even the basis of success. Everything is influenced by technology.
- Success therefore will be based on the level of knowledge of technology and ability to leverage on technology.
- Career choices are also influenced by technology and suddenly making the experiences of parents too limited (the analogue age).
Understanding career-making career choices
- The oxford dictionary defines career as an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person’s life and with opportunities for progress. The focus here is occupation and on long term basis.
- A career is the pursuit of a lifelong ambition or the general course of progression towards lifelong goals.
- The business dictionary in a more elaborate definition says: “The progress and actions taken by a person throughout a lifetime, especially those related to that person’s occupations. A career is often composed of the jobs held, titles earned and work accomplished over a long period of time, rather than just referring to one position.
A successful career will be influenced by the following:
- There must be a career focus to support a lifelong objective or ambition.
- Progression is an important part of any career.
- It is composed of jobs, titles and work accomplishment.
- A job is therefore a part of your career and not the career.
- You can change jobs even within the context of your career.
There are several career test tools that can help with an insight but they are not sufficient on their own. There are also career counselors who could be involved in the decision process.
Some factors that influence career choice are:
- Time and Chance
- Environment – Friends, Peers, Enemies.
- Training and Education
Generally for career success you must pick a career that is right for you.
- It must match your interest
- It must match your aptitude
- It must match your work related values
- It must match your personality type
Therefore, the critical choice will be based on:
- Your interest – what you will do if you don’t have to work to earn a living, your hobbies etc.
- Your skills –what you enjoy in school, interpersonal skills etc.
- Your current state – education, financial situation, etc.
- Your future – this is very important and is the game changer.
- Consider the occupation outlook for jobs that will be there vin future
- Consider future job stability
- Consider financial stability
Parents play important roles in the career choice of their children. They:
- Create the home environment
- Clothing, Food and Security
- Emotional Stability etc.
- Provide resources
- Serve as role models
- Provide guidance
- Finance educational projects
Role of parents/guardian
How parents influence career choice
- Grow children’s confidence
- Parent own career
- Home Lifestyle
- Counseling and Early Involvement
- Transparency and Sincerity
Influence of parents in —post-college career
- Case Study
- A first class graduate had an opportunity to choose between working in an oil company or a consulting firm. As at the time she was under 25 years. After professional counseling, she opted for the consulting firm and after 10 years, she became the CEO of an Investment Company and sits on the board of several companies.
Helicopter Parenting – A phenomena where parents put in excessive levels of involvement, control and problem solving while the child is left in “sleep mode”.
Here are some impacts on the children subjected to excessive parental involvement
- Growth is retarded – Mental and Psychological growth
- They become unwise – Poor decision making
- Low self esteem
- Overtly dependent (even beyond the parents)
- Short term focus – not capable of long term planning
- Failure in career (the career is the choice of parents: not real interest)
How do you manage Helicopter Parents?
- Who has the final say? YOU. In this case the young man or woman deciding on a career – either a new one or changing a career, you have the final say. It is your decision! it is your future! YOU DECIDE!!!
- The trend now is to break your career into stages to align with your changing circumstances and changing economy around you.
- There is always another option, jump out if you are unhappy. You only need to retrain yourself for the new and attractive option.
- Making a career choice is a risk. Succeeding or not. There’s a better driving force if one chooses his career himself.
- Minimize risk by getting sufficient information so you won’t be flying blind.
- Parents have a right to influence their children’s career as they want them to succeed but helicopter parents go too far.
Upcoming School – 2 – Work training this month:
Pre Employment Business Managerial Skills. Check the website below for date and time of the upcoming s2w training .Visit www.mse.com.ng/s2w to register for the upcoming Job Challenge
You can also read up the article on Helicopter Parenting on the website amongst some other interesting articles.